Doctor Science Knows

Friday, August 29, 2008

Obama's Denver speech

From the post-speech discussion at Obsidian Wings:


socratic_me reported:
My sister, a long time very conservative Republican from the middle of Oklahoma, decided tonight that she was voting for Obama. ... Her reason: She is tired of the fact that Republicans always want her to be frightened and angry and Obama has clearly set forth for her a better way.
The "socratic_me's sister" metric proves once again I am not a very good politician.

I'm one of the few people who was disappointed by the speech because he made almost no acknowledgment of the fear, rage & shame I feel when I think about the Bush administration. Torture, black sites, mercenaries, ceaseless surveillance, imperialistic invasion, rape both figurative and literal, arbitrary and unchecked Presidential power aka tyranny -- as Glenn Greenwald said yesterday, those are the issues that no-one at the DNC seems willing to call out and reject.

But socratic_me's sister won't vote for change if she feels ashamed of her country -- even though she *should* feel ashamed. My approach would be wrong, Obama's is right -- or at least, it is likely to work.

But it still sticks in my craw that we won't get war crimes trials, and I'm afraid that without them we're going to get future war crimes.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • Well, Obama made the case to you. You can vote for him or chose to live with the shame of the last 8 years. Its great that we have the choice to shape our destiny... it is upto us.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home